5/22/2012

Picture This

On Sunday, May 22, 2012, the West coast of the U.S experienced an uncommonly striking eclipse of the Sun. This is when the moon is in front of the Sun, instead of the other way around like it usually is.

Many pictures and videos were taken of the event, but I was fortunate to be able to take both pictures and videos from multiple locations and bring them to you.

I am new to photography and video as an art form, and have not done much with celestial events before, but I'm hooked. I look forward to doing much more of this.

First, here's a view of the eclipse as seen from California, where I live:


I was also able (through circumstances I cannot explain) to capture a similar image from Seattle:


By some bizarre coincidence, I happened to have some very expensive photography equipment on me that allowed me to capture the event in a time-lapse video.

First, here is the eclipse as seen from California:



And finally, here is the eclipse again from Seattle:



It's a beautiful universe out there.

1 comment:

fishsalsa said...

Very moving. What was the DPI rating on your camera? The images are so accurate. The universe is such an awesome place. Sometimes, I wish I had pursued by boyhood dreams of being an astronomer or astrologer. Then I would understand (or at least be able to predict) such things.